Five More Minutes Mom

I love a shower that smells like an iron in the morning. It presses out the wrinkles of sleep, creates perfect creases in my thoughts and blisters the skin on my ass. Our shower is particularly nasty, at least for me. Turtle seems to have no problem getting it to the temperature that she desires, I on the other hand, who prefer the water to be on the edge of a rolling boil can never find the right temperature. Today it was particularly brutal, charged enough that it woke me from my month-long slumber.

We have been here for almost a month now and I have wandered aimlessly getting caught up in the current of the-stranger-in-a-strange-land syndrome, all that might be (usually the negative side), and trying to figure out what we have to do to survive here comfortably. As the scorching droplets of water punished my hind end, the answers started to come into focus.

First off I cannot make everything happen at once. Language is a huge barrier, but I am picking it up. I could take a course that cost 850 dollars. The course starts in November ends in April, is four days a week and last four hours a day. I’ve decided not to take it. I know my attention span (what did you say?) and I know that we don’t have that sort of funds lying around. The smarter thing to do is purchase Rosetta Stone (half the price) and continue to pester the locals with my silly questions. Grant it I might only have the vocabulary of 7 or an 8-year-old, but then again most Americans newspapers are written at a fifth grade level.

I have also come to terms with being without a job, which was for so long was the purpose and for some is the reason to live (scary isn’t it). Therefore I am going to attempt to get this writing business off the ground. And I blame all of you. You have all kept visiting the site, sending me emails telling me how amused you are, and that the writing is good, and so on and so forth that I feel its time to get it going.

[aside]
Now if you all could pass the link along
Let others know that these pages exist
Sing the melody of the raven’s song
Gladly I would fall upon favored lists

Hold your applause

Last night was a bugger though. Lying in bed listening to Turtle sleep I had idea for a character (the first good one I have since being here). Instead of writing it down or getting up and tapping away at the keys, I rolled over and went to sleep. It was three in the morning, it was my body’s ultimatum. Of course, it has been forgotten and seeped deep back into the recessed of my diseased brain. The positive spin on all of this is that an idea surfaced and more will come. And if they don’t, I can always pick up design again which I’m also not too terribly bad at.

The other fear that was eating away at my slumber was survival in Germany. I was worried about the money. Coming from a less than meager background that happens. I worry when I shouldn’t, no we won’t be living extravagantly jetting off to Milan staying the week in Monaco, but we will live well. And enjoy it to no end. Therefore as of today, the beginning of September, I vow to enjoy life a bit more and I think that my corner has turned since I just had a half hour conversation with someone I don’t know. The entire time moving from cheek-to-cheek attempting to not chaff my scalded seat.

posted by Don Taylor @ 9:23 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home